Orthodontic Treatment (Braces)
Orthodontic treatment offers benefits like improved bites, straight teeth and enhanced overall self-image. But above all, it alleviates potential dental health problems associated with jaw problems and misaligned teeth. For instance, jaw problems and teeth misalignment cause improper cleaning that in turn results in tooth loss, gum diseases and tooth decay. Additionally, orthodontic problems that are left untreated lead to digestion and chewing difficulties, abnormal teeth surface wear problems and speech impairments. Excessive strain on gum tissue and jaw bone affects jaw joints to cause problems like neck pain, face pain and headaches.
Due to advancements in dental health technology wearing braces is easy and comfortable. Moreover, there are numerous types of braces like metal braces, NASA type wires and clear and tooth colored braces that require minimal adjustments. Invisalign may also be used to straighten teeth.
Reasons for orthodontic treatment among adults and children
- Cross bites that occur when one or more upper teeth bite inside lower teeth or towards the tongue.
- Breathing and swallowing problems that cause sleep apnea and snoring.
- Deep overbites that occur when lower front teeth bite into upper teeth tissue.
- Crowding with extra and misaligned teeth.
- Disfigured mouth and face that affect development of the jaws and teeth positioning.
- Jaw and joint pain.
- Extra or missing teeth resulting from injuries, tooth decay and genetic/ inherited dental problems.
- Upper teeth protruding beyond normal to cause shorter lower jaws.
- Too large or too small spaces between teeth.
- Biting, chewing or speech problems.
- To ensure a beautiful smile that boosts self-confidence and image.
Phases of orthodontic treatment
You visit your Lake Elsinore orthodontist. The orthodontist takes your dental and medical history, recommends computer examinations of the dental formulae, head and neck regions. This includes; jaw and teeth x-rays and computerised photos of the mouth and face. After examining the results, the orthodontist designs a treatment plan and sources the ideal braces and appliances.
This entails visiting the orthodontist regularly for check-ups and necessary adjustments to ensure successful treatment.
Once treatment is completed successfully, the braces and orthodontic appliances are removed and new retainer appliances are installed. Retainers maintain the achieved teeth changes while stabilizing the jaw bone.
Note that, orthodontic treatment and retention durations vary based on a patient’s dental health history and problem being corrected.